Thursday 26 June 2014

@iamDO #ATDS Interview

On the second of 2 dope interviews today we get to chat with D.O. (aka Defy All Odds). 

Can you give as a little introduction to you as an Artist?

D.O. stands for Defy the Odds - I grew up in a lot of small towns so people said it would be impossible to make it.  I didn't listen to them!

How long have you been making music?

I put my first demos together back in 95, so its been almost 20 years.

How many songs /albums have you released to date? 

I've released four albums

First one was Northstarr and the most recent is Down Home

The Northstarr (2007)

Down Home

Can you tell us about your new project and the background and inspirations behind it?

I've known Classified for over ten years and he has produced songs on each of my albums so was cool to come together with him and do a full project, especially since I have strong conniption to Nova Scotia as thats where my family is from.

How have you ended up in the music industry?

Necessity.  At first I just wanted to rap, but I learned that it will be a hobby unless you take it serious.

What do you think of the music industry at the moment?

This morning I've had emails from the UK to Taiwan to Netherlands to US, this wouldn't have happened 10 years ago.  It's no longer about record deals and CD sales, and all about how you build your brand worldwide - so I like that.

Who inspires you when you make your music?

I love listening to new artists.  Their hunger inspires me.

Can you recite a few bars that inspired you to start writing?

"I sip the Dom P, watching Gandhi til I'm charged

Then writing in my book of rhymes, all the words past the margin
To hold the mic I'm throbbin', mechanical movement
Understandable smooth shit that murderers move with
The thief's theme - play me at night, they won't act right"

Nas!

Who have you collaborated with so far in your Career?

Classified, Saukrates, Maestro, Joell … those have all been fun!

What book are you reading at the moment?

Dope book by an artist and friend named Manafest called "Fighter"

Who would you like to collaborate with in the future?


Busta Rhymes and Snoop.

What was the first album u bought?

Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.  Classic.

Where was the first gig you performed and did it go well?

Sarnia Ontario - one of my hometowns.  Funny thing is it went good, but I felt like it didn't.  Looking back I realized it was a learning experience.

If the question above wasnt the worst gig you have ever performed at, can you tell me about the worst?

I think the challenges are when things don't go right.  Like when the sound is completely off or the mic doesn't work, but again, looking back, some of those 'worst' shows are all good because people come up and say how much they respect you for grinding it out.  Like one time the DJ of the spot was playing my records SUPER slow.  I guess one of the buttons was off.  I had to cut the music and get the crowd to give me the beat with hand claps.  So it all worked out!

And the best gig you've had?

Probably the last one we just did.  Had thousands of people rocking out in Singapore.  Was sick!

What was the first thing you downloaded illegally? 

haha… I was down in Barbados going to school and the Chronic 2001 just dropped.  Downloading wasn't big at that point, but I needed to hear that record.  So it was dope that I could get it.

Whats your favorite song at the moment?

Big Homie.  Diddy!

What to you is the definition of a Wack Emcee?

An MC that won't spit rhymes on the spot.

If you had to sell your music collection tomorrow, what album would you leave in your drawer?

Tribe - Low End Theory.

Your dream collaboration track for a future album - Producer & Feature artists (Dead Or Alive).

I'd have to say J Cole production featuring Common.

What do you do when your not making music?

Kick it with my kids.

How do you feel about Underground Hip Hop at the moment, do things need to change?

Underground is great, its where the real music comes from.

At All That Dope Shit we like to feature as much underappreciated artists as we can. Can you name a few guys from your local area we should check out? 

My man Famous!

What are your thoughts on the All That Dope Shit Blog?

It's dope! and love the support you give so I've always been spreading the word!

Anything else you would like to add?

Thank you for the interview and check me out at iamdo.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment